Friday, January 2, 2015

Music Influences

First of all, Happy New Year! Some people look forward to this time of the year, not only because of the Holidays; but because we all get a brand new start at the end of each year. New opportunities, new goals, and new dreams are what many feel they will come across in the new year.  A new start in all aspects of our lives is always good, so I’m excited to see what is to come ahead. I hope many of you will take advantage, and do greater things than last year for yourselves and your loved ones. Hopefully, you also enjoyed the moment and cherished your Christmas time with loved ones because they only happen once. I myself enjoyed my time with the little bit of family that I have here in Denver, but I was reminded that blood does not make up a family. Family is made up of love, and those that care for us and cherish us.

Since it is the Season of festivities, you may know that there are at times too many choices when it comes to food. I have managed to avoid over eating during these times because 3 years back, I was going through some tough times and my main course was rice. May I remind us all, that there are people and children around the world that would love to eat at least half of what many of us eat, so lets not take that for granted.  After my 6 months of rice as my main course in Nevada, my diet has changed drastically but in a positive way. I have to admit that the only binge I have been on is Cumbia, since I last wrote about 3Ball MTY. I have been listening to the good old Sonora Dinamita hits.

The irony of this Cumbia binge is that I learned something without trying. I didn’t know that the famous song “Mi Cucu” that most would remember Sonora Dinamita by and was released in 1988, was influenced and actually remade in Spanish from the original song “My Toot Toot”. The creator and song writer Mr. Sidney Simien performance name Rockin’ Sidney released his in 1984. This song was so popular that even one of my fathers favorite front vocalist John Fogerty, who was the main vocalist for the Creedence Clearwater Revival during the years of 1967-1972 released his version in 1986.

This is the beauty of music, because it does not matter what culture, gender, or status you are, everyone can enjoy music. Who would have thought an African American Southerner from Louisiana would influence a Caucasian Californian, and also a Columbian Cumbia group living in Mexico. Its obvious that music touches all of us, even Cumbia, Merengue, Salsa, Rumba, Bachata, Samba, and many more Latin genres have been strongly influenced by African heritage. Music is definitely international, crosses borders, and influences all cultures.

In closing, I would like to leave you with a Kenyan Proverb


“Traveling is Learning”

May you make time and plans, so you can travel somewhere this year and see, learn, and experience new things. I've experienced and learned much by traveling, so I would recommend it. As you can see, our cultures can influence others and vice versa, so enjoy each other, grow each other, and build you and those that surround you on this New Year.
Oh, and a special Happy Birthday wish to meine Schwester!


No comments:

Post a Comment